Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Magic of Writing

Margret Cogswell wrote the script for my project.  She did a fantastic job.  I think this script sets the mood and setting (both historical and fictional) well.  Matt Dywer helped us both out by advising the script with appropriate biblical passages.  Thank you both very much.


I have included the script below:
Written by: Margret Cogswell

The Pastor’s Last Moment
Script
Oct. 19, 2010

PRIEST
Most powerful and glorious Lord God, at whose command the winds blow, and lift up the waves of the sea, and who stillest the rage thereof. We thy creatures, but miserable sinners, do in this our great distress cry unto thee for help: Save, Lord, or else we perish.

GUARD 1
(footsteps approaching)
…and she’s even madder, now that they’re plottin’ to put her Protestant sister on the throne.

GUARD 2
Damn peasants just want a show.  One threw dirt in my bloody face, can you believe that?

GUARD 1
Ay, these are dangerous times for those not willin’ to follow.

GUARD 2
(to priest)
Alright you old sack, up off your knees!

PRIEST
(pleasant)
Good morning, sirs.

GUARD 2
(snarky)
Queen Mary doesn’t want you any more, and neither does God.  For the offenses of treason against the crown, and the practice of Protestantism, you are to be burned at the stake, on this beautiful day, in the year of Our Lord, 1557.  Now come on.


The Guards begin dragging the Priest down the hall and steps.  He is flailing and screaming.

BEAT

*
(in this section between the asterisks, you could have the guards talking and the priest freaking out at the same time.)

PRIEST
Wait, wait, I have only ever been loyal to the one, true God!


GUARD 2
Loyalty to anyone but the Queen will get you nowhere, now be quiet.

PRIEST
(begins screaming and overlaps guard’s conversation below)
No, no, please!  God in Heaven, please let the Queen have mercy!  I have been a faithful subject!  I am not the enemy!  Mary is a daughter of God as I am a son, and only He decides our trespasses!  This is wrong, please this is wrong!

GUARD 1
It’s a bit windy out, isn’t it?  You think they’ll be able to get the fire going?

GUARD 2
It’d be this bastard’s lucky day if they can’t.

GUARD 1
(somber)
The sun’s barely up and the crowd is already forming.

GUARD 2
(amused)
She’s a damn righteous Queen she is.  Purveyor of justice, eh? (chuckles)

*

BEAT

The Guards pick the Priest up off the floor and sit him up.  The Priest looks around.  Guard 2 leaves.  Guard 1 talks to the Priest.

GUARD 1
(quietly)
Priest, don’t fear good man.  I, too, practice your faith.  Know that I am praying for you, and that God will send the Queen to hell for this.  May He keep your everlasting soul…

PRIEST
(sobbing)
Thank you.

BEAT

Guard 2 returns and prepares the equipment for the Priest’s execution. Guards’ conversation and Priest praying overlaps.

PRIEST
The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

GUARD 1
(hesitantly)
Right, I suppose we should tie him up now, eh?

GUARD 2
Tie it tight man, don’t want him leapin’ off the pile!


GUARD 2
(shouting to crowd)
Right, you lot!  In her infinite wisdom, Queen Mary has sentenced this man to be burned at the stake for heresy!

PRIEST
Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.  When he had said this, he breathed his last…ah, aah, aaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment