Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Failure at MoCap

My professor suggested that I try MoCaping the Camera Animation.  Great Idea I thought.  I've worked with Motion Capture several times and I feel like I know the pipeline very well.

I had my motion capture shoot today.  Matt Williams and Lamar helped me out with it. The shoot all in all went well.  Matt had a lot of fun doing it.  The clean up process also went pretty smoothly.  However getting the animation into Unreal proved slightly problematic.  I could not export the camera animation as Callada data or FBX.  It just would not work.  I then decided to create a skeletal mesh, a pipeline I'm slightly more familiar with.

I got the animation and the skeletal mesh into Unreal eventually (always one missing check box... lol).  I attached a camera to the mesh, which I would then animate.  This process just simply did not work.  The animation still looked clunky.  The movement was shaky and I just did not like the result.

I lost one day of work of trying to implement this but hey thats life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment